Madison Receives Three PHM Education Foundation Grants
The P-H-M Education Foundation has wrapped up the grant announcements for the 2023-2024 school year; and it’s been a big year with tons of recipients. Madison was the recipient of three grants for the combined total of $1,329.26!
Physical Education teacher Stephanie Newcomer applied for and received $929.26 to purchase cardio drumming supplies. Cardio drumming helps students advance the development of auditory skill, gross and fine motor skills and a sense of rhythm while maintaining a steady beat, body awareness, coordination and following directions.
Madison also applied for and received two EZ Grants:
- $150 to purchase milkweed plants for monarch butterfly caterpillars
- $250 to purchase an iPad for the music room
This cycle the Foundation Grants Committee awarded $42,819.63 in funding to 15 EZ grants and 20 traditional grants. Click here for the full list of funded grants.
PHMEF has moved to one grant cycle per school year, now moved to the Fall, to allow teachers and schools time to put their grant dollars to good use right away.
Executive Director Jennifer Turnblom traveled across the district to surprise various grant recipients with the good news of their funding amount. Grants awarded this year cover a wide array of innovative programs and activities from $10,000 to Grissom Middle School to purchase keyboards for the music room to fishing poles for Penn’s Fishing Club.
President & First Ladies Wax Museum
We held our President and First Lady Wax Museum on November 29. Even the Secret Service even showed up! Take a look at the photo gallery below …
What Fans Need to Know Before Heading to Penn Homecoming Parade & Game
Friday, September 29 is Penn’s Homecoming Parade, Fun Zone, Food Trucks & the Penn football game versus St. Joe. The P-H-M Education Foundation is once again sponsoring all the fun and new this year–FIREWORKS after the football game!
The entire P-H-M community is invited to come out for this fun-filled family event. All the fun starts with the Homecoming Parade. Be sure to grab your spot on the route by 5:00 p.m. Parade starts at 5:30!
Here are some things that will be helpful for families as they head out for all the festivities.
- Paid Parking ($3 cash) at these lots:
- Penn High School (Front Lot & Jefferson Rd. Lot)
- Softball/Tennis Lot
- Bittersweet School Lot
- Free Parking at these lots:
- Soccer Lot (Bank Lot)
- Pennway Lot
- Schmucker Lot (front, Sides & in Back of School)
- 5-7:00 p.m.
- Penn Baseball Field
- Teacher Dunk Tanks, Jumpies for elementary students
- FREE for EVERYONE!
- Food Trucks:
- Ben’s Pretzels
- Keim’s Elephant Ears
- Kona Ice
- Prized Pig
- REAL Grille
- Rulli’s Pizza
- Fans will be allowed to take food purchased at the Food Trucks into the stadium. However, no other outside food will be allowed!
Gate & Ticket Info:
- Penn vs. St, Joe, Kickoff is 7:30 p.m.
- P-H-M students K – 5th grade get in FREE with paying adult!
- Tickets are on sale now-Thurs., Sept. 28 online, ticket price is $6 (students & all other age groups same price)
- Tickets on Friday, Sept. 29 are $7 (online or at the gate)
- PHM Employees plus one guest get in FREE, but you must have ID badge & the guest must be with the employee
- Please remember middle schoolers cannot be dropped off unsupervised. Once in the game, the students are free to walk around. At least one responsible adult must be onsite.
- Tickets are sold at the North & South gates only!
- Penn All Sports Passes and tickets (hard & online) are accepted at all gates
- The Center Gate is reserved for Penn All Sports Passes and online ticket holders only
- No Reentry!
- Click to download and red the Lost Child Policy
- Please utilize crosswalks when crossing Bittersweet Road after the parade
Rules to Remember:
- No reentry to Everwise Field; once you leave, you are not allowed back in.
- No outside food or beverages, no insulated cups
- No backpacks
- Diaper bags & large women’s purses are allowed
- Penn does not have a clear bag policy
- No electronic noise makers
- No Footballs or Beach Balls
- No weapons of any kind
- No alcohol
- No Smoking/Vaping products of any kind. All PHM school property is smoke free.
- No open flames at private tailgating
Info on the Penn Student Homecoming Dance on Saturday, September 30 can found on PHMEF’s website. CLICK HERE.
2023 Community Connections Fair to be held Oct. 7
The Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation’s ENL Services’ is sponsoring the District’s FREE Community Connections Fair!
Come check out what the Mishawaka, South Bend, and Elkhart communities have to offer to your families!
P-H-M is inviting area businesses who want to participate in the Community Connections Fair to sign up. Click here to request a table at the event.
The Fair will also include cultural performances from P-H-M students and families. Families wishing to sign up to perform, click here.
Bilingual interpreters will be on hand at the event to assist those families who need it.
Come out and enjoy the many cultural performances and student work that will be on display representing countries from all over the world!
Please join us! Click here to download and share the flyer.
For more information, please contact:
P-H-M Elementary ENL Coordinator
(574) 271-8598, Ext. 50913
“Back to School” Boys Basketball League
Boys in grades 2nd to 8th are invited to participate in “Back to School” Basketball League at Penn High School.
2nd – 6th grade League
DATES: September 24th; Oct. 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd 29th
- 2nd-4th, Penn Fitness Center
- 5th-6th, Main Arena/West Balcony/Aux Gym Time
- 2nd-4th, Sundays, Noon – 4:00 p.m.
- 5th-6th, Sundays, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
7th & 8th grade League
DATES: September 10th, 17th, 24th; Oct. 1st, 8th
LOCATION: Penn High School
TIMES: Sundays, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Questions? Please contact the League Director Coach Smith if you have any questions at email@example.com
2023 Community Tailgate
This year’s annual Community Tailgate will be a great way to kick off the return of the Backyard Brawl between the Kingsmen and the Mishawaka Cavemen.
All fans are welcome, Cavemen and Kingsmen! There’s plenty of food for fans on both sides.
Gates open at 5:00 p.m. You must have a ticket to the football game to enter. Once inside the stadium head down to the white tents in the South End Zone, near the Zolman’s Tire & Auto Care South Concession Stand.
For $6 you get your choice of hot dog, hamburger or brat served with a bag of chips, choice of drink, and a cookie. Food tickets for the Tailgate are purchased at the Tailgate.
Fall 2023 Penn Youth Girls Basketball League, 3rd-8th grade
Penn Girls Basketball Head Coach Kristi Ulrich is once again offering a fall youth basketball league
The “Junior” League is open to girls in 3rd – 6th grades. The “Senior” League is for student-athletes in 7th & 8th grades. All those participating in the ”Senior” league MUST live in the P-H-M District or attend a P-H-M School.
Sign-ups are on Sunday, September 10 from 12 – 2 p.m. in the Penn High School Main Arena. Enter Door D.
The League runs September 17th – November 12th with a single elimination tournament for all age groups.
All games will be played on Sundays at Penn High School in the Main Arena, Auxiliary and West Balcony courts. Tournament times may vary on Nov. 12th.
Weekly Game Times are:
- 3rd & 4th grades: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- 5th & 6th grades: 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- 7th & 8th grades: 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
2023-2024 District Activities Calendar
The 2023-2024 District Activities Calendar was mailed to the homes of P-H-M families the last week of July.
The calendar provides key dates for testing, recess breaks, and school specific events (for the schools that provided the information).
The P-H-M District online (Google) calendar is the most up-to-date. You can add this district and any school calendar to your own personal Google calendar.
Each of our 15 schools also maintains an online calendar that is updated frequently with the school’s scheduled activities and event details. You’ll need to visit your school’s website to add that calendar to your personal Google calendar.
Running is Elementary School results
After the postponent of the original race date on Monday, May 1 due to rain, students were able to show their stuff on Wednesday, May 3.
The one mile run, sponsored by P-H-M’s Education Foundation, is held at Penn’s Cross-country course, which is located behind Elm Road Elementary School. Post race snack donations were donated by Costco.
This annual event encourages fitness, healthy choices and wellness. Fourth and fifth graders, from all 11 P-H-M elementary schools are encouraged to sign up for the free running club. Designated coaches at each school are then tasked with training the runners for the 6-week club which then culminates with the Running is Elementary one mile race. Approximately 640 students participated this year! The students are cheered on by their fellow students, their families, principals, teachers and running coaches; it’s amazing to see the dedication and hard work the students put in to complete the race. Visit P-H-M’s Facebook page to see a full photo gallery.
Cindy Batalis (P-H-M’s 2009 Teacher of the Year and physical education teacher at Mary Frank Elementary School) began the yearly tradition of Running Is Elementary back in 2008. Batalis’ own love for running and her desire to pass that love on to students is evident in the passion she puts into the Running is Elementary event each year.
CONGRATULATIONS to all the students who participated! It is a tremendous accomplishment to complete a one-mile cross country course race. Below are the race results show 1st, 2nd, and third place winners.
5th Grade Girls Winners
- 6:56, Bib #2, Bittersweet
- 6:57, Bib #513, Northpoint
- 7:04, Bib #213, Horizon
School Team Rankings:
- Elm Road
5th Grade Boys Winners
- 6:01, Bib #510, Northpoint
- 6:25, Bib #536, Prairie Vista
- 6:26, Bib #541, Prairie Vista
School Team Rankings:
- Prairie Vista
4th Grade Girls Winners
- 7:20, Bib #42, Bittersweet
- 7:31, Bib #381, Meadow’s Edge
- 7:46, Bib #569, Horizon
School Team Rankings:
- Prairie Vista
4th Grade Boys Winners:
- 6:34, Bib #553, Prairie Vista
- 6:44, Bib #206, Horizon
- 6:51, Bib #196, Horizon
School Team Rankings:
- Prairie Vista
Here’s a breakdown of the schools’ shirt color:
Running is Elementary Details
Running is Elementary races were postponed until Wednesday, May 3 due to the weather on Monday, May 1.
The races will still take place at Elm Road Elementary, 59400 Elm Rd, Mishawaka.
WHEN: Introductions start at 2:50 p.m.
5th Girls: 3:00 p.m.
5th Boys: 3:20 p.m.
4th Girls: 3:40 p.m.
4th Boys: 4:00 p.m.
South Bend Orthopedics: 60160 Bodnar Blvd, Mishawaka
Grissom Middle School: 13881 Kern Rd, Mishawaka
Shuttles start at 2:30 p.m.
ALL Runners picked up no later than 4:30 p.m. at Elm Road Elementary School. Runners may leave following their run and checking out with the coach.